Wednesday, August 09, 2006





My Wonderful Wife - Do you know what - she's gone and surprised me (not easily done!)

Friday 28th July, I had agreed to meet Ruth for lunch at the Bull Ring. As I start to go out form work she calls to say that she's running late, which is fine, so I agreed to meet her by St Martin's church.

I get there and find she is sitting there with a red rose and bag with other things in! (chocolates, a novel, card)

She makes me sit down and open a card she gave to me. This card says that for the next 24 hours she's in charge and whisking me away (!)

I have to say that I was taken aback - even protested saying that I have a meeting in the afternoon which I need to attend.

"No" she replies - "the meeting does not exist, your boss had agreed to give you the afternoon off and the meeting has been set up as part of the deception".

Well knock me down - this is the kind of thing I'd do, and in all honesty find it harder to be on the receiving rather that organising end.

Yes, Ruth had it all arranged, copies of e-mails from my boss (who's been in on it for a number of weeks), her mum was going the have the children on Friday night, and Pete & Mel were having them on the Saturday, the bags were packed and at her office and so we could go now.

It appears that everyone was in on this weekend apart from me (although, Ruth did leave a map in the printer at home and came up with a reason for it being there.)

Off we went to Langar Hall north of Melton Mowbery. We arrived and the champagne was on ice outside our room, which you can see was an isolated room by the croquet lawn!

We had a lovely walk around the grounds and got ready for dinner.

It was so wonderful to be able to spend the time together and talk outside of our usual environments.

I can honestly say that I will remember the occasion for as long as I live, and can really see how much Ruth loves me.

I've said to Ruth that I have no problems with her organising this type of thing again!!!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please clarify, the triangle shaped building is that where you
stayed? well it certainly looks very intimate and cosy(a love shack indeed). what a lovely romantic couple you are, keep up the good work. Daves waiting for his surprise now!! ha ha
Love Tania

Gavin said...

Yes Tania, that was were we stayed.

I'm sure that you are able to arrange a surprise for Dave, no worries.

Gavin

Anonymous said...

Hi guys - I have to admit I thought the 'love shack' was the shed for the equipment for the coquet lawn!? Maybe I need to get my eyes re-tested...

We're getting our love shack on wheels ready today for going to Grapevine! David

Anonymous said...

Oops! I can spell & I'm not drinking early in the day, Correction - Croquet, a game played with Mallets, balls & hoops on a manicured grass lawn...

Gavin said...

Dave, it used to be the store for the croquet equipment.

Perhaps you can do something with the storage unit you have in your garden? Or is the old container still up at the school, with a little DIY skills you could turn it into little earner!!!!